From the 1770 "Plan of the Town & Port of Beaufort" by French surveyor and cartographer Claude Joseph Sauthier

Beaufort, NC not built on an Indian village

INACCURATE: In her 2002 book, Beaufort, North Carolina, Mamré Marsh Wilson wrote, "It was around 1709 when the town located on the site of the former Coree Indian village, Cwarioc, meaning 'fish town,' was established." This narrative has since been repeated in many articles, magazines, and online accounts of Beaufort history. 

ACCURATE: There is no documentation that "fish town" is a translation of "Cwarioc," nor did a Coree village exist on the acreage that would become Beaufort. Thus, any later reference to Beaufort as having the early name "Fish Town" is inaccurate. However, many years after Beaufort was laid out/established in 1713, the small village could have easily been referred to as "Fish Town" by those unaware of the actual name of the town.

Detail from Virginiae Item et Floridae ▪ Hondius and Mercator ▪ 1606
     Cwareuuock, the reference to the Coree tribe on earliest maps (1590 De Bry and others), included the Algonquian ending ‒euuock, roughly translated "people of" or "land of"—thus, the name referred to "Cwar," Core, or Coree territory. (Blair A. Rudes, UNC Charlotte, The First Description of an Iroquoian People
 
VILLAGES
    In his book, John Lawson referred to two villages, Coranine and Raruta.
    In Colonial Beaufort, historian Charles L. Paul wrote, "Before white settlers entered the area, the Coree had two villages. One of these was located on the north side of the Straits of Core Sound which separates Harker's Island from the mainland, a location not more than seven miles east of the present site of Beaufort or more than eight miles north of Cape Lookout."
     "The other village was located on the west side of Newport River, but the exact spot cannot be given…A deed, dated 1725, describes the tract as follows: 'a certain piece of land called ye Indian Town lying on ye west side of Newport River…'" (Book C, pp. 112‒113, dated 1 Feb 1724/5, Charles Cogdell of Carteret Precinct, Bath County, to Thomas Austen of the same place…containing 36 acres beginning at a lightwood stump on the river side, north 73 west 58 poles to a red oak, north 17 east 92 poles to the River side, down river to 1st station.) 
______________________

In view of these references, it is incorrect and misleading to perpetuate the misconception that the Town was built on the site of an earlier Indian village.