From the 1770 "Plan of the Town & Port of Beaufort" by French surveyor and cartographer Claude Joseph Sauthier

Beaufort NC - Owins-Bedford plaque not accurate

Though plaqued "Owins-Bedford circa 1730," this cottage was built much later.  

"If the house dates from the 18th century, then only some of its framing members are of that age. It is just as likely the building started out as a single story dwelling with an integral shed constructed sometime in the late 18th or early 19th century."